forrest-dev mailing list archives

From Nicola Ken Barozzi <nicola...@apache.org>
Subject Re: [VOTE] Forrest 0.2 release
Date Tue, 12 Nov 2002 09:52:28 GMT

Steven Noels wrote:
> Jeff Turner wrote:
>
>> Second try :)
>>
>> While Nicola and I try to whack ideas into each others heads, I think we
>> really do need a release before both of us commit a bunch of new
>> features.
>>
>> So I propose we:
>>
>>  - Write a minimal Tomcat-style etc/RELEASE-NOTES-0.2.txt mentioning open
>>    bugs.
>>  - tag current CVS as 'FORREST_02', but excluding the contentious patch
>>  - generate source and binary distributions (incl. release notes in root)
>>    and put them somewhere public.
>>  - draft a minimal email announcing the release, review it here on
>>    forrest-dev, then send to general@ and announce@
>

> While releasing is good, I'm not so sure whether we have the right
> motivation to do so right now.
>
> A lot of the stuff isn't finished (the Wiki stuff & DTDs basically), nor
> can we offer a binding contract / migration path to our users IMHO.

It's a 0.x release, and OS projectrs are never finished ;-)

> If you want to tag for easier bookkeeping - please go ahead. Internal
> release, without announce mails: +1

I'd make an announcement, but clearly state that it's not a final one,
just to help users try out Forrest's features with a release as they
have requested.

> But all in all, I think we need to stabilize and package before we can
> publicly release. Remember there is no second chance for a first
> impression.
>
> And as you all know, we will have time, energy & focus to work on
> Forrest for 6 weeks full-time after the GetTogether. Part of that time
> can go to updating & solidifying documentation, and testing the new
> additions.
>
> (oh my god, I'm gonna be flamed for this - but the 0.1 release mail has
> been sitting in my draft folder since 2002/07/16, honestly)
>
> (I haven't cast my vote yet)
>
> </Steven>

Let's just do a quick release with just "technical" announcement,
especially to the projects like incubator and commons that are starting
to use it.

             - verba volant, scripta manent -