forrest-dev mailing list archives

From Steven Noels <stev...@outerthought.org>
Subject Re: [VOTE] Forrest 0.2 release
Date Tue, 12 Nov 2002 09:45:21 GMT
Jeff Turner wrote:

> Second try :)
>
> While Nicola and I try to whack ideas into each others heads, I think we
> really do need a release before both of us commit a bunch of new
> features.
>
> So I propose we:
>
>  - Write a minimal Tomcat-style etc/RELEASE-NOTES-0.2.txt mentioning open
>    bugs.
>  - tag current CVS as 'FORREST_02', but excluding the contentious patch
>  - generate source and binary distributions (incl. release notes in root)
>    and put them somewhere public.
>  - draft a minimal email announcing the release, review it here on
>    forrest-dev, then send to general@ and announce@

While releasing is good, I'm not so sure whether we have the right
motivation to do so right now.

A lot of the stuff isn't finished (the Wiki stuff & DTDs basically), nor
can we offer a binding contract / migration path to our users IMHO.

If you want to tag for easier bookkeeping - please go ahead. Internal
release, without announce mails: +1

But all in all, I think we need to stabilize and package before we can
publicly release. Remember there is no second chance for a first impression.

And as you all know, we will have time, energy & focus to work on
Forrest for 6 weeks full-time after the GetTogether. Part of that time
can go to updating & solidifying documentation, and testing the new
additions.

(oh my god, I'm gonna be flamed for this - but the 0.1 release mail has
been sitting in my draft folder since 2002/07/16, honestly)

(I haven't cast my vote yet)

</Steven>
stevenn at outerthought.org                stevenn at apache.org