forrest-dev mailing list archives

From Nicola Ken Barozzi <nicola...@apache.org>
Subject Re: Skin rewrite: 0.2 release?
Date Mon, 11 Nov 2002 16:44:52 GMT

Nicola Ken Barozzi wrote:

> Jeff Turner wrote:
>
>> Hi,
>>
>> I'm 80% through rewriting all the skins to make heavy use of
>> <xsl:import>, aka stylesheet inheritance.  This makes skins _much_ easier
>> to maintain, since all the 'structural' XSLT is common to all skins, and
>> each skin's stylesheets contain only presentational stuff.
>> As this is a major refactoring, how about doing a quick 0.2 "release"
>> right now?  AFAIK everything is nice and stable, no known bugs.. docs
>> need updating but not urgently..
>>
>> By "release", I mean:
>>
>>  - Make sure what's in CVS has no glaring bugs.
>>  - Tag CVS as 'FORREST_02' or something (now is a good time to suggest
>>    a sane tag convention)
>>  - Create 'src' and 'binary' (shbat) releases by hand, put them
>>    somewhere.. anywhere, preferably somewhere official.
>>  - (optional) Post on general@xml, or announcements@ if someone has
>>    access.
>>
>> Really I just want to tag CVS.. how "official" we make the release
>> doesn't bother me.
>>
>> What do people think?
>

> I'm finishing just now to patch the sitemap to be able to accept sources
> from src/documentation/content directly instead of in the xdocs dir.
>
> It also searches in the legacy xdocs dir for compatibility.
>
> I want this to go in our first "unofficial" release, so we don't make
> users change doc source locations later on.

Committed. Please triple checkm since it's quite a big change.

Now Forrest will look for xdocs in the content dir first, and fallback
to the legacy xdocs dir.

Actually the process is:

  1) look for the file matching the exact name in
     .src/documentation/content/** and serve as-is

  2) if it's an html file look for the xdocs file matching
     the usual rules, but in .src/documentation/content/**.xml

  2) else fallback to .src/documentation/content/xdocs/**.xml

Oh, I was forgetting. We should see SVG stuff working for a 0.2 release,
but I won't vote -1 for it if nobody has time to fix it ;-)

After the release I'll commit the RSS stuff, the source coloring stuff,
and we can switch skins. And make a 0.3 release soon again :-)

             - verba volant, scripta manent -