forrest-dev mailing list archives

From Nicola Ken Barozzi <nicola...@apache.org>
Subject Re: [RT] Getting rid of the table-based layout
Date Mon, 11 Nov 2002 12:57:01 GMT

Steven Noels wrote:
> Nicola Ken Barozzi wrote:
>
>> It's not me you have to convince, it's an important user we have.
>> As I have already forwarded on this list, the Forrest skin will not be
>> used in Apache Commons till it doesn't look ok in "links".
>> Ok means without spacer images and such, and fully validating. No
>> more, no less.
>
> No user is more important than the others.

Which also means that every user is important.

> Besides, we should optimize
> in the direction of standards rather than try to support all user
> agents. I also hope people will use Forrest not only because of its
> skin(s), but because of the underlying ideas. If they want to create a
> skin that is fully optimized for their preferred UA, we provide them
> with the system to support that.

Not necessarily fully optimized (as I have already explained), simply
not bad looking with images turned on (again, it was the spacer gifs
basically).

> I believe we are all ready to adopt Miles' skin, but are only reluctant
> to say so :-)

I didn't hear anyone against it, which 99,9% of the time means :-)

> I've attached a links (0.96) and lynx (2.8.4) screenshot for those who
> still need to be convinced.

Good, exactly what I wanted to see.
Very nice, I like it :-)

NOTE: is it possible to have the links on the top of the page. But even
more important, is it desireable? Suggestions...

> If anyone can come up with a screenshot of Netscape 4 running on a Unix
> platform, that would ease my mind.

             - verba volant, scripta manent -