forrest-dev mailing list archives

From Steven Noels <>
Subject Re: [RT] Getting rid of the table-based layout
Date Mon, 11 Nov 2002 12:45:57 GMT
Nicola Ken Barozzi wrote:

> It's not me you have to convince, it's an important user we have.
> As I have already forwarded on this list, the Forrest skin will not be
> used in Apache Commons till it doesn't look ok in "links".
> Ok means without spacer images and such, and fully validating. No more,
> no less.

No user is more important than the others. Besides, we should optimize
in the direction of standards rather than try to support all user
agents. I also hope people will use Forrest not only because of its
skin(s), but because of the underlying ideas. If they want to create a
skin that is fully optimized for their preferred UA, we provide them
with the system to support that.

I believe we are all ready to adopt Miles' skin, but are only reluctant
to say so :-)

I've attached a links (0.96) and lynx (2.8.4) screenshot for those who
still need to be convinced.

If anyone can come up with a screenshot of Netscape 4 running on a Unix
platform, that would ease my mind.

Steven Noels
Read my weblog at
stevenn at                stevenn at