forrest-dev mailing list archives

From Steven Noels <>
Subject Re: forrest-dev added to Gmane
Date Sun, 10 Nov 2002 10:02:01 GMT
Gmane Administrator wrote:

> We have received a request for adding the
> mailing list to the Gmane mail-to-news gateway/archive. A subscription
> request message has been sent. If this is contrary to your wishes,
> please send a mail to saying so, and the list will be
> removed from Gmane.
> Gmane is a mail-to-news portal that never expires its messages.  It
> therefore also functions as a mailing list archive.  It's a
> bi-directional gateway, but Gmane verifies that its users' email
> addresses are valid before passing the messages through the
> news-to-mail gateway.  (Groups can also be made "read-only", which
> means that Gmane won't forward any messages at all to the mailing
> list.)
> Gmane can encrypt addresses to make address harvesting difficult, and
> heeds X-No-Archive and related headers.
> If you wish to import older archives into Gmane, send a message to
> the Gmane administrators -- just reply to this message.
> The following parameters are set for this mailing list:
>     * Newsgroup name: gmane.text.xml.forrest.devel
>     * Mailing list address:
>     * The gateway is bi-directional    * Address encryption is off
>     * Spam detection is on
>     * The list is described as:
>       "Apache forrest development list"
>     * News URL: news://
>     * Web URL:
> This newsgroup will be created when the first message from the
> mailing list arrives.
> For more information about the Gmane project, go to
> <URL:>.
> This request was handled by
> Tom Koelman <>.

Looking good - thanks. We just made the list subscribers-only, because
it had become a target for spam mail, and we (moderators) were sick of
rejecting 15+ messages a day.

Please be aware of the fact the infrastructure team of ASF is currently
investigating its own mail2news link. At the least, when this becomes
available, syncing newsgroup names & hierarchies would be interesting.

Or maybe we (ASF) could adopt the Gmane tools for setting up our own

Steven Noels