forrest-dev mailing list archives

From Nicola Ken Barozzi <nicola...@apache.org>
Subject Re: Backwards-compatibility (Re: Stable stamped version)
Date Tue, 05 Nov 2002 19:35:54 GMT

Jeff Turner wrote:
> On Tue, Nov 05, 2002 at 04:12:36PM +0000, Ian Blizard wrote:
>
>>Hi all,
>>
>>You guys are doing some stunning work, when do you think we'll see the
>>wood for the trees?
>>
>>Even an alpha/beta distribution would be very handy, at least then
>>everyone who uses it will have a solid basepoint to start from.
>

> Yes, we're long overdue a release.

+1

Do you have any idea on what we need before a 0.3 Alpha release?

> That raises the question, what strategy should Forrest take wrt.
> backwards-compatibility.
>
> My thoughts:
>
> Forrest is a rapidly evolving, early-lifecycle project.  When the choice
> is between improving Forrest, or breaking backwards-compat, I'd go with
> improving Forrest.
>
> However, I'd suggest one rule: when backwards-compat is broken, it MUST
> be documented as such, and an 'upgrade path' for users supplied.
>
> One of the best examples of change reporting I've seen is Log4j's HISTORY
> file.  It lists all user-relevant changes in log4j since October 1999.
> Each change is marked by severity:
>
>    [*] Changes that are 100% compatible with existing client code.
>   [**] Changes that requiring little or no modification to existing
>        client code.
>  [***] Changes requiring important modifications to existing client code.
>

> Perhaps we could extend the 'changes' section in status.xml to support
> this, where each [***] entry requires a link into a separate 'upgrade
> path' page.

+1000!
I'd put it in the DTD to *require* an attribute that defines how this
can break backwards compat.

> If the Forrest site is run as a webapp on cocoondev, we can
> then have a 'queryable' changelog: "show me how to upgrade my Forrest
> 0.3.4 site to Forrest 0.9.0".  This can easily be done with an XPath
> expression, and the XPathTransformer in Cocoon's patch queue.

:-?

> Also, breaks SHOULD also be done just after major version increments.

I'd start this rule till we get to a 1.0 version.

> In order to enforce this backwards-compat policy, I suggest we have a
> regression suite of sites which the Forrestbot tries to build once a day.

+1

> The Forrestbot can be modified to be able to check out versions of a site
> from CVS at certain dates.  I can supply aft.sf.net as a non-trivial
> Forrest use-case.  Hopefully, any users seriously relying on Forrest will
> either let us use their site for regression testing, or set up a
> Forrestbot themselves.

You are our Anteater guru, why not set up a suite of Anteater tests?
It would be an excellent start for a suite to use in Cocoon.

> The problem is, there are lots of cases where a small change in Forrest
> could possibly break someone's site, but it's highly unlikely.  We need
> to tighten and document the contracts between the various parts of
> Forrest.

There is only one really important contract ATM, which is the DTD; IMHO
we should concentrate on those till a 1.0 release.

Then add other things to the tests as the problems arise during the 0.x
release cycle.

             - verba volant, scripta manent -