forrest-dev mailing list archives

From Marc Portier <...@outerthought.org>
Subject Re: publishing unlinked files
Date Mon, 04 Nov 2002 15:35:29 GMT
In the past (pre forrest) I used some fake uri 'blind-start.html'
to hint the cocoon CLI on resources he found 'unreachable' if not
expressed explicitely  (other threads about the missing css could
benefit from the same trick)

I just made the blind-start.html:
1. not be linked from any other page (so it remains blind)
2. ant-removed before publishing
3. let the (generated or static) html-content list the a href
explicitely
4. let it also include the link to the actual index.html start so
the rest of the generation is pulled out as well

actually when I parametrized the project.start-uri in the
forrest.build.xml to the forrest.properties it was a way to sneek
in this backdoor trick... haven't come to exploit it yet though...

how bad does this sound?
(it could be an xml conf file listing these unreachable resources
for the crawler, and have a silly stylesheet over it to produce
the explicit links to aid the crawler)

-marc=

Jeff Turner wrote:
> On Mon, Nov 04, 2002 at 04:50:17AM -0500, Rodent of Unusual Size wrote:
>
>>how do i cause forrest to include a file in the build output tree that
>>isn't explicitly linked?  such as a .htaccess file?
>

> Don't know :/
>
> Perhaps we need Forrest pre- and post-targets:
>
> forrest.pre-script=build.xml
> forrest.pre-script.target=${forrest.pre-script}/prestuff
> forrest.post-script=build.xml
> forrest.post-script.target=${forrest.post-script}/poststuff

dependencies should be handled by the ant-build file of the project?

or you want to enable this for people that don't know about ant
and still have some pre-post stuff?

and wouldn't pre-post stuff break with the webapp filosophy?
(as would it be meaningless to have .htaccess in a webapp I guess?)

> What do people think?
>
> --Jeff

-marc=
PS: wading to +400 backlog mails on this list, October has been a
heavy working month (see Steven's back) obviously this group
hasn't been waiting in the mean time, kudos to all involved (lots
to Jeff) for boosting traffic and commit rates