forrest-dev mailing list archives

From Sylvain Wallez <sylvain.wal...@anyware-tech.com>
Subject Re: on the SVG tool post from Betrand
Date Mon, 04 Nov 2002 14:38:30 GMT
Robert Koberg wrote:

>Hi,

use the proprietary macromedia plugin and view something that can be extremely useful. Flash
movies can use their communications server and get a bunch of stuff out of the box:

>http://www.macromedia.com/software/flashcom/download/components/
>
>An excerpt:
>
>---
>
>7. Whiteboard
>  The Whiteboard component lets you create and edit text, boxes, and lines in a
>real-time shared environment. To create a shape, you select a tool and click the
>Whiteboard area; you can also drag the shape to a new position or edit the text.
>When you press the Delete key, all actively selected items are deleted.
>
>---

Ok. I think there must be some misunderstanding here since I didn't read
Bertrand's original post and so don't know exactly what he's looking for.

Anyway, I can say that, in a Cocoon world, Adobe's SVG plugin is far
more useful than the Flash plugin. I've done some very nice things in
SVG with a few lines of XSL and a bunch of JavaScript functions, and I
don't know how I could have achieved the same in flash.

Ah, and a few more links :
- http://sodipodi.sf.net : opensource drawing tool whose native format
is SVG
- http://www.protocol7.com/default.asp?x=projdoc/p7_xmlrpc_svg : an
XML-RPC integration in SVG.

The second one is tied to Adobe's plugin, but allows nice things like
refreshing a monitoring diagram without reloading the whole SVG. I guess
this is similar to the XML features of flash, and it's here nicely
integrated with standard JavaScript and DOM.

Note : I don't want to start a SVG against Flash flame, but just show
that in an XML world, SVG rocks on the client side if you accept to use
Adobe's plugin.

>All the data can be stored in XML to be fed through a stub flash app, or used
>standalone or in a PDF to render SVG - when batik can do more than just simple
>shapes and text. When I say the OS tools are not there yet, I mean I can't do
>simple things like the following SVG (last time I checked - 2 months ago??):
>
><?xml version="1.0" standalone="no"?>
><!DOCTYPE svg PUBLIC "-//W3C//DTD SVG 20000802//EN"
>"http://www.w3.org/TR/2000/CR-SVG-20000802/DTD/svg-20000802.dtd">
><svg width="108" height="108" xml:space="preserve">
>   <g style="fill:khaki; stroke:khaki">
>      <rect x="0" y="0" width="108" height="108"/>
>      <rect x="24" y="24" width="56" height="56"
>style="fill:none;stroke:white;stroke-width:1;"/>
>      <rect x="16" y="37" width="30" height="32"
>style="fill:none;stroke:white;stroke-width:1;"/>
>      <rect x="60" y="37" width="30" height="14"
>style="fill:none;stroke:white;stroke-width:1;"/>
>      <rect x="58" y="68" width="22" height="22"
>style="fill:none;stroke:white;stroke-width:1;"/>
>   </g>
></svg>
>
>This will render in Adobe's plugin, but not in Batik (and therefore FOP). (The fill:none
does not work).

??? A quick check with an old Batik 1.0 displays just fine.

Sylvain