forrest-dev mailing list archives

From Jeff Turner <je...@apache.org>
Subject Re: [RT] Forrest update system (Re: Docbook DTD)
Date Wed, 27 Nov 2002 07:22:21 GMT
On Wed, Nov 27, 2002 at 05:25:37PM +1100, David Crossley wrote:
> > I'm not proposing to do this right now.. just floating the idea.  What
> > I'd _really_ like to have is a .deb or RPM-like system where signed jars
> > contain updates, and a META-INF/control.xml Ant script directs how to
> > apply the update.  Updates would be applied in a sandbox (after verifying
> > the jar signature) to keep things secure.  Perhaps JWS has something like
> > this.. so many wheels to reinvent, so little time :P
>
> This would be an excellent capability for Forrest to have.
>
> Is it possible for Anteater to be distributed with Forrest?
> Then Forrest can just utilise various Anteater capabilities
> and we can concentrate on inventing other wheels.

Anteater currently has just a straightforward chained Ant script system,
not the fancy signed jar system described above.

Nicola mentioned being able to download skins.. that is another good
application of an update system: 'anteater-update <skin name>'.

The driver is a 20 line script.. I'll check it in and we'll see if it
proves useful.

--Jeff