forrest-dev mailing list archives

From Jeff Turner <je...@apache.org>
Subject Re: Comments on the DTD Deficiencies, a question and an attachment
Date Fri, 22 Nov 2002 09:36:59 GMT
On Fri, Nov 22, 2002 at 09:39:05AM +0100, Nicola Ken Barozzi wrote:
> >Lists don't have to be rendered as blocks of indented text.  With
> >appropriate CSS, that paragraph could be rendered in-line as "Forrest is
> >wonderful because blah.., blah...".
>
> The above I like. It's natural and common. IMHO a list is part of a
> paragraph, not necessarilt a paragraph itself.

Then I found (much to my annoyance) that XHTML doesn't allow lists in
paragraphs ;/  So to generate valid XHTML would require some fancy XSLT.
At least now that document2html.xsl is shared across skins, it would only
need to be done once.

> But I don't see a need not particularly like having paragraphs in list
> elements.

I didn't parse that..?  In case you mean, you don't see a need for
multiple paras inside a <li>, here's my original use-case:

<faq>
  <question>
    When trying to run a Forrest site as a webapp,
    I get an error: <code>java.lang.NoClassDefFoundError:
      javax/xml/transform/URIResolver</code>.  What's wrong?
 </question>
 <answer>
     Either:
   <ul>
     <li>
         You are running JDK 1.4, and haven't to set the
         <code>java.endorsed.dirs</code> JVM property to point to the XML jars
         bundled with Forrest.
         For Tomcat, this means setting the <code>TOMCAT_OPTS</code> (3.3.x) or
         <code>CATALINA_OPTS</code> (4.x) variable to
         <code>-Djava.endorsed.dirs=$FORREST_HOME/lib/endorsed</code>, where
         <code>$FORREST_HOME</code> is the location of the forrest distribution
         (<code>build/dist/shbat</code> if built from source).
         Alternatively, the Forrest XML jars in
         <code>$FORREST_HOME/lib/endorsed</code> can be copied to
in
         there!).
     </li>
     <li>
       You are running the webapp under JDK 1.3, and the Forrest webapp was
       built with JDK 1.4.  When built with 1.4, the XML jars are <em>not</em>
       copied into <code>WEB-INF/lib</code>, causing the webapp to break under
       JDK 1.3.
     </li>
   </ul>
 </answer>