forrest-dev mailing list archives

From Peter Donald <pe...@apache.org>
Subject Where does forrest responsibility stop?
Date Tue, 19 Nov 2002 04:19:55 GMT
Hi,

I would like to know where everyone believes forrests responsibility ends. For
example, in most projects I work on we have several bits of documentation
generated.

* website (in scope)
* manual (in scope)

* announcements (50/50?)
 ie basically blocks of text ready to be cut-n-pasted
 into email announcements or the various freshmeat
 style directories.

* headers/footers for download directory (50/50?)
 ie basically snippets of html that are put at top
 or bottom of page in download directorys. See for example
 http://jakarta.apache.org/builds/jakarta-avalon/release/framework/v4.1.3/

* code doc presentation (out of scope?)
 ie javadoc sytle stuff gets spit out as xml and then forrest styles em

* report presentation (out of scope?)
 ie reports get prepared by some process and then forrest styles em

I guess my question is how do we go about using one of these other systems.

* Do we integrate with ant/maven/centipede and then re-run forrest everytime
one of those other docs need to be generated? (ie push)
* Do we get Cocoon to "suck" the data through ? (ie pull)
* Do we get some sort of incremental build?

something else?

BTW if you decide that headers/footers or announcements are in scope then I
have some xsl sheets to convert across ;)

--
Cheers,

Peter Donald
| "Common sense is the collection of prejudices        |
|  acquired by age 18. " -Albert Einstein              |