forrest-dev mailing list archives

From Jeff Turner <je...@apache.org>
Subject [RT] Forrest update system (Re: Docbook DTD)
Date Tue, 19 Nov 2002 12:20:37 GMT
On Tue, Nov 19, 2002 at 06:59:05PM +1100, Peter Donald wrote:
> On Sat, 16 Nov 2002 21:48, David Crossley wrote:
> > > * add docbook4.1.2 into catalog
> >
> > Perhaps Forrest should distribute these by default, and
> > maybe the XHTML stuff too.
>
> +1
>
> Would make my life easier and both of those formats are relatively well
> supported/ "standards based" formats ;)

Hmm.. Docbook stylesheets (xhtml) and DTDs are 1.36mb in total.

How about a more modular apt-get kind of system, where you type
'forrest-update docbook' to have the Docbook DTDs and stylesheets
installed?

An update system could also be used to update Forrest installs.  No need
to download 12mb to go from 0.2 to 0.2.1, when only one .bat script
changes, just type 'forrest-update 0_2_1' and the changed files will be
patched.

I have implemented a prototype of this for Anteater, described at:

http://aft.sourceforge.net/updates.html

Eg, typing 'anteater-update xhtml-schema' downloads the XHTML RNG schemas
from James Clark's site, which can then be used in Anteater tests.

The Anteater system is (piecewise) really simple:

 - 'anteater-update' runs a local bootstrap Ant script which..
 - downloads a driver Ant script from ViewCVS, and runs it..
 - which presents the user with a selection of 'updates'.  When the user
   chooses one, the script gets the update Ant script from ViewCVS and
   runs it..
 - the update script then does whatever to update the local installation.
   Typically this involves fetching an updated file from ViewCVS (or
   James Clark's site in the case of xhtml-schema-install.xml) and
   applying it to the local install.

Only one small bootstrap Ant script and 'anteater-update' shell script
need be bundled with the system initially.  Everything else, including
the list of updates, is external and we can update it at any time, by
committing a newer version to CVS (hence appearing in ViewCVS).

I'm not proposing to do this right now.. just floating the idea.  What
I'd _really_ like to have is a .deb or RPM-like system where signed jars
contain updates, and a META-INF/control.xml Ant script directs how to
apply the update.  Updates would be applied in a sandbox (after verifying
the jar signature) to keep things secure.  Perhaps JWS has something like
this.. so many wheels to reinvent, so little time :P

--Jeff