forrest-dev mailing list archives

From Jeff Turner <je...@apache.org>
Subject [review] 0.2 announcement email
Date Fri, 15 Nov 2002 12:38:06 GMT
Where is what I propose be sent out to the various mailing lists, once
the release is built.

An important question: which mailing lists should we spam? :)

I propose:

cocoon-docs
cocoon-users
fop-dev
general@xml

Any others?  Perhaps, given the degree of cross-posting, we should just
stick to announce@xml.apache.org?

Announcement appended.  I'd like to send something out in 3 or 4 hours.

--Jeff

The Forrest team is pleased to announce the release of Apache Forrest 0.2.

  Introduction & History
  ----------------------

Forrest is an XML standards-oriented project documentation framework based on
Apache Cocoon, providing XSLT stylesheets and schemas, images and other
resources. Forrest uses these to render the XML source content into a website
via command-line, robot, or a dynamic web application.

This is Forrest's first public release.  Forrest was originally envisioned [1]
as a Sourceforge-like documentation management framework for xml.apache.org
projects.  Eleven months later, Forrest is a much more focused, generic system.
 - All xml.apache.org assumptions have been eliminated: Forrest can be used in
   any project.
 - Forrest's cross-project goals have been put on hold while effort is put into
   making Forrest a good single-project tool.

Forrest is thus most comparable with the Anakia + xml-site2 combination [2,3]
used to render many jakarta.apache.org sites.

  Status
  ------

Forrest is currently experiencing rapid growth, and this release is made in the
spirit of "release early and often".  To quote from the release notes:

  This 0.2 release is believed to be stable, and is in use by many projects
  (including xml.apache.org).  However, forrest-dev explicitly DOES NOT intend
  to maintain the degree of accountability and backwards-compatibility intended
  for future 0.x releases.  This 0.2 release is made primarily to meet user
  demand, to solicit feedback, and to give the Forrest community a trial run
  in the process of Forrest releases.

  Downloads
  ---------

Forrest 0.2 can be downloaded in binary or source form from:

  http://cvs.apache.org/~jefft/forrest/0.2/

Please also take time to read the release notes:

  http://cvs.apache.org/~jefft/forrest/0.2/RELEASE-NOTES-0.2.txt

which contains important information about known bugs.  Of note, bugs in the
batch scripts which affects some Windows users; we would greatly appreciate
feedback and fixes in this regard.

  Feedback
  --------