forrest-dev mailing list archives

From Jeff Turner <je...@apache.org>
Subject Re: Forrest 0.2-rc1 released :)
Date Thu, 14 Nov 2002 14:48:05 GMT
On Thu, Nov 14, 2002 at 02:46:33PM +0100, Steven Noels wrote:
> Jeff Turner wrote:
>
> >Thanks.. hope someone can figure it out.. so far, looks like 0.2 is going
> >to be a Unix-only release.
>
> Hm. Should we release then?

I think so.. with some suggestions:

 - We mention the problem in the announcement email as part of the
   "Forrest is still kinda dodgy" disclaimer, and ask for people's help.
 - We add a WARNING_WINDOWS_USERS.txt file to the project root and
   download directory, pointing them to the release notes, which will
   describe the problem.
 - Soon as we find and fix the problem, we release a 0.2.1.  Ie, we
   should have a FORREST_02_BRANCH in CVS where 0.2 bugfixes go.

> Are we prepared to fight over any Windows user convincing them to
> install cygwin?

If we convey the facts properly, the only Windows users downloading
Forrest 0.2 will be those with cygwin or willing to help fix any
problems.  As Stefan says, ant.bat works on W2K and XP