forrest-dev mailing list archives

From Jeff Turner <je...@apache.org>
Subject Re: webapp failure: Servlet.init() for servlet Cocoon2 threw exception
Date Thu, 14 Nov 2002 04:57:53 GMT
On Wed, Nov 13, 2002 at 03:21:40PM -0600, Tony Collen wrote:
> Steven Noels wrote:
>
> >Tony Collen wrote:
> >
> >>Roger that, 1.4.
> >>
> >>So go grab the latest xerces.jar and xalan.jar, and throw them into
> >>$JAVA_HOME/lib/endorsed ?  Pardon my ignorance :)
> >

> >You're welcome. You don't have to go grab them elsewhere, they come
> >with Forrest (lib\endorsed)... welcome to Java Jar Hell :-)
>

> Bingo.  They weren't working in $JAVA_HOME/lib/endorsed/ so I moved them
> to $TOMCAT_HOME/common/lib/ and the webapp started... thank you very
> much, kind sir :)

:) You missed the last part of message printed after 'forrest webapp' has run:

If using JDK 1.4 or above, make sure to set the Java environment variable
-Djava.endorsed.dirs=/home/jeff/apache/xml/xml-forrest/build/dist/shbat/bin/../lib/endorsed
Eg, in the TOMCAT_OPTS (3.3.x) or CATALINA_OPTS (4.x) env variable.
---------------------------------

Also, for anyone else having trouble with the webapp: it breaks under JDK 1.3
because lib/endorsed/*.jar isn't copied into WEB-INF/lib.  This is fixed in CVS
and will be in 0.2 final.

> On a side note, now that I see what Forrest is for, I can say, "COOL!"
> because it gives me most of the functionality that I needed, and it
> saves me the pain of having to figure out how to create automatic
> navigation.  I look forward to hacking the hell out of the default skin
> =]

The skins are a bit of a mess currently.. soon as 0.2 is out I'll commit
a refactored set of skins, which makes modifications _much_ easier.  For
example, here is the avalon-tigris document2html.xsl file:

<?xml version="1.0"?>

  <xsl:import href="../../../common/xslt/html/document2html.xsl"/>

  <xsl:template name="pdflink">
    <!-- No PDFs thankyou -->
  </xsl:template>

  <xsl:template match="section">