forrest-dev mailing list archives

From Jeff Turner <je...@apache.org>
Subject Forrest is overdocumented
Date Tue, 12 Nov 2002 14:58:29 GMT
I never thought I'd say it of an Apache project, but there you go.. :)

Users are practically swimming in documentation, unfortunately mostly
slightly out of date.  I foolishly tried to update the Forrest Primer,
and found that outdated xml.apache.org-centricity is absolutely
everywhere.  Rewriting an existing doc is actually more effort than
writing one from scratch, because added content has to 'fit', not
duplicating anything.  The change 'infects' the doc around it, requiring
a cascade of updates.  primer.xml is a nightmare because it touches
everything.

IMO the site needs a ground-up rewrite, containing the absolute minimum
of content.  We could have a separate tab, 'legacy', containing the
current site.

</rant>

:)

Though I must say, the quality of Forrest's docs (before the code changed
under it) says a lot about the dedication of Forrest's committers.  The
site authors all deserve some serious toothbrush awards.

--Jeff