forrest-dev mailing list archives

From Jeff Turner <je...@apache.org>
Subject Re: Filesystem layout (Re: Skin rewrite: 0.2 release?)
Date Tue, 12 Nov 2002 11:09:55 GMT
On Tue, Nov 12, 2002 at 11:43:04AM +0100, Steven Noels wrote:
> Jeff Turner wrote:
>
> >:)  I think we need a proper Forrest roadmap, with use-cases and a
> >concrete, technical step-by-step guide, in order to prevent
> >misunderstandings like this from happening again.
>
> +1
>
> I don't know what has been happening recently, and sure lots of it is
> simply Good Stuff, but I have problems with this new eagerness to throw
> stuff over the wall into the open.

What do they say about omelettes and breaking eggs.. :)  You get to be
our Voice of Sanity.

> I'm in good standing with the 'release early & often' strategy, but if
> we are claiming to be best-practices-driven, I don't see why we
> shouldn't take the time to double-check these practices.
>
> I have been one of the advocates of 'let the user decide how he will
> organize its resources' in the past, so I tend to agree with the idea
> Nicola is pushing forward.

I'm also in favour of the idea, just very against the implementation :)
The first thing I did in Forrest was to un-hardcode the required
filesystem.  Admittedly, in a stupid way, rearranging the fs instead of
parametrising the sitemap, but back then I didn't know about input
modules :)

> OTOH, generalizing remarks from single individuals as 'general user
> requests' will bring us to FS sooner rather than later. So we need more
> debate ad perhaps a vote, sorry.

How about..

 - If non-trivial, mention a proposed addition on forrest-dev
 - If no comments, lazy consensus applies and change gets made
 - Anyone feel free to -1 a dubious addition.  Remember that each commit
   should have a status.xml update, describing from a user's POV what the
   change is.

--Jeff