forrest-dev mailing list archives

From Jeff Turner <>
Subject Re: @apache web pages
Date Tue, 12 Nov 2002 01:17:07 GMT
On Mon, Nov 11, 2002 at 07:13:56PM -0500, Andrew C. Oliver wrote:
> I'd also like to get a central forrest generator set up.  I had thought
> daedalus was the proper
> place to do that, but perhaps is.
> I can hack forrest to provide this..  But What I need is:
> 2. crontab.  I did some calculations here
> (
> and
> the process should be fairly benign and light weight.
> The advantage is that anyone using forrest could have their pages
> generated from ONE central running copy of forrest.

Do you mean live Forrest webapps running in Tomcat?  That would need a
separate port, or mod_jk/mod_webapp hacking.. and lots of mem permanently
allocated..  I think statically generated would be better :)

> We won't
> have 60-300 ssh demons running remotely uploading pages opening up
> security holes... and its just good clean infrastructure!

How about:

 - providing a standard Forrest install in /usr/local/forrest
 - putting /usr/local/forrest/bin in the PATH

Then the process of creating a home page on icarus is:

mkdir ~/homesite
cd ~/homesite
cat >> << EOF${user.home}/public_html
forrest seed    # Generates a template project
vim src/documentation/content/xdocs/*.xml  # Add content
forrest         # Generate HTML from XML

It takes Forrest 49 secs to render a basic site on my box.  I don't think
there's any need for a cron-driven system, as most people would need to
regenerate very rarely.

One possibility of a centralized system is that we could automatically
include a 'People' tab, linking to other committers' home pages.  The
source for people.xml would have to be a publicly editable file in
/var/forrest/ or somewhere.

> -Andy

View raw message