forrest-dev mailing list archives

From Jeff Turner <je...@apache.org>
Subject Filesystem layout (Re: Skin rewrite: 0.2 release?)
Date Tue, 12 Nov 2002 00:06:12 GMT
On Mon, Nov 11, 2002 at 11:10:43PM +0100, Nicola Ken Barozzi wrote:
> >>What do others think? Probably I'm just getting old and my brain fried...

> >>I wanna zap them and make all the content in a single dir, as I thought
> >>we had decided on.
> >>
> >>Single dir space -> single URI space
> >

> >It already is.  Everything in content/ can currently be accessed from the
> >sitemap.  The choice is, what default rules to we want to provide to map
> >that content to public URIs.  We can try to be as general as possible in
> >the mapping, or we can stick to some conventions, while allowing the
> >possibility of breaking those conventions.  I'd prefer the latter..
>
> This discussion is like the ones we already had about CAP (content aware
> pipelines) and file extensions.

> To summarize, what is common practice in Cocoon, like matching file
> types by URIs is *wrong*.
> File types will change over time, while sites should be more stable.
> For example, if I put the license in
>
>   http://mysite/license
>
> The browser can get an html file, a gif file, whatever, but the URL
> stays the same. Or it camn be an image sometimes, and later an html file.
>
> URIs are about describing what the content is about, not *how* it's
> presented.

Yes. URI space should be semantically rich and independent of filesystem
layout.  The sitemap translates from filesystem to URI space.

> So users should be able to put files *everywhere* in the URI space, and
> Cocoon should be able to understand *how* to serve stuff basing on other
> rules, not on matching like this, which is a hack.
>
> Matches are to see *what* to serve, not *how*.
>
> Now this replies to the need of putting images in an */images/** subdir.
> Of course you can say that users can put images in */images/** but the
> URL will be without the preceding "*/images/**" .
> But this creates confusion on the users that see the image under images
> and link it without that name in the path... at Avalon Peter and Stephen
> both were confused on some of these, so I suppose that most developers
> would... think about non technical people!

Okay.. let me see if I understand.

A few paragraphs ago, you were extolling the virtues of a semantic URI
space, where a URI does not imply the content type.  We all agree this is
a Good Thing.  The question here is how to order the filesystem.

You're saying that, in order to keep things simple for users, we should
have a 1-1 mapping between filesystem and URI space.  Implication: you
want a semantic filesystem layout, as well as a semantic URI space.
Files are arranged according to what the _mean_, not what the _are_.

Example: if we wanted:

http://mysite/license

then it's contents should be obtained from content/license.*, where the
extension (if present) is purely a hint to the sitemap as to which
pipeline to use.

Is that what you're getting at?

My take on this is that the filesystem should be organized FIRST on
content type, THEN on semantics.  A direct analogy:

FIRST we order projects by file type:

src/java
src/test
src/scripts
src/etc

THEN, inside each directory, we order by meaning:

src/java/..../myproject/parsing/*.java
src/java/..../myproject/servlet/*.java
src/java/..../myproject/util/*.java

Likewise, in Forrest we should order first by type:

content/xdocs
content/images
content/html

then by meaning:

content/xdocs/*.xml
content/xdocs/drafts/*.xml
content/xdocs/manual/*.xml
content/images/*.png
content/images/drafts/*.png
content/images/manual/*.png
content/html/sitemockups/*.html

Why do the initial split by content type?  Two reasons:

 - Users prefer it.  It provides a way of ordering one's project.  Users
   don't _want_ images and xdocs all jumbled together.

 - Simple pragmatism.  In projects, Ant needs to apply operations to
   _types_ of files, regardless of meaning.  In Forrest, exactly the same
   thing: we need to apply transformations based on _types_ of files,
   regardless of semantics.

As for the second reason: yes we could 'infer' the content type by
looking at the extension, just like we could compile *.java wherever it
occurs under src/.  I just think it's cleaner to match on directory
rather than extension.

Here's a question: why does Centipede separate src/java from
src/documentation, when technically Ant could easily deal with everything
in a single src/ directory?  Why not, as you suggest for Forrest, order
by semantics, not type:

src/util/*.java
src/util/*.xml      # xdocs for 'util' code
src/servlet/*.java  # servlet interface
src/servlet/*.xml      # xdocs for servlet interface

In fact, why not throw src/testcases/ in there too; we could always use
Ant selectors to distinguish JUnit source from normal source, just like
CAPs distinguish types of XML.

Conclusion: history and experience show that ordering by type, and then
by meaning, provides something that a) users like, b) is technically
simple and unambiguous to deal with.

--Jeff