forrest-dev mailing list archives

From Jeff Turner <je...@apache.org>
Subject Re: Skin rewrite: 0.2 release?
Date Mon, 11 Nov 2002 16:50:23 GMT
On Mon, Nov 11, 2002 at 05:25:58PM +0100, Nicola Ken Barozzi wrote:

> Jeff Turner wrote:
> >Hi,
> >
> >I'm 80% through rewriting all the skins to make heavy use of
> ><xsl:import>, aka stylesheet inheritance.  This makes skins _much_ easier
> >to maintain, since all the 'structural' XSLT is common to all skins, and
> >each skin's stylesheets contain only presentational stuff.
> >
> >As this is a major refactoring, how about doing a quick 0.2 "release"
> >right now?  AFAIK everything is nice and stable, no known bugs.. docs
> >need updating but not urgently..
> >
> >By "release", I mean:
> >
> > - Make sure what's in CVS has no glaring bugs.
> > - Tag CVS as 'FORREST_02' or something (now is a good time to suggest
> >   a sane tag convention)
> > - Create 'src' and 'binary' (shbat) releases by hand, put them
> >   somewhere.. anywhere, preferably somewhere official.
> > - (optional) Post on general@xml, or announcements@ if someone has
> >   access.
> >
> >Really I just want to tag CVS.. how "official" we make the release
> >doesn't bother me.
> >
> >What do people think?
>
> I'm finishing just now to patch the sitemap to be able to accept sources
> from src/documentation/content directly instead of in the xdocs dir.

Do you mean, allow XML directly in the content/ directory?  Is that a
good idea? :) It's going to screw up validation..

Users can always set project.xdocs-dir=${project.content-dir} to have
that..

What's the use-case that isn't met currently?

> It also searches in the legacy xdocs dir for compatibility.
>
> I want this to go in our first "unofficial" release, so we don't make
> users change doc source locations later on.

Currently, everything is located through a fine-grained set of project.*
properties.  It is easy to make things coarser-grained.

--Jeff