forrest-dev mailing list archives

From Jeff Turner <je...@apache.org>
Subject Re: um.. make/ant only-if functionality?
Date Fri, 08 Nov 2002 16:43:18 GMT
On Fri, Nov 08, 2002 at 09:54:38AM -0500, Rodent of Unusual Size wrote:
> i don't have a handle on the 'forrest run' bit yet

It goes something like:

 - type 'forrest run'
 - point your browser at http://localhost:8888/.  You should see the site
   rendered
 - Delete build/webapps/content/xdocs and symlink it to
   src/documentation/content/xdocs
 - Edit away in src/documentation/content/xdocs, and after every change,
   see the updates rendered immediately in the browser

> , but it just occurred to me: with all the fancy only-if-changed
> technology we've got in mae (n/a) and ant.. why does 'forrest site'
> actually rebuild the entire site rather than just the bits that have
> changed?

It should really.  Not so easy though, because there's no simple 1-1
mapping between source files and result. Eg, index.html should be rebuilt
if {index.xml, book.xml, tabs.xml} changes, and this is just one of many
rules in the sitemap.

Cocoon has caching.. the trick is to get it to work in command-line mode.

--Jeff