forrest-dev mailing list archives

From Jeff Turner <je...@apache.org>
Subject Adding new content types (Re: Forrestize Phoenix)
Date Fri, 08 Nov 2002 05:23:42 GMT
On Thu, Nov 07, 2002 at 03:41:58PM +0100, Nicola Ken Barozzi wrote:
[from an avalon-dev thread]
> And finally the latest tigris skin stuff:
>
> http://style.tigris.org/nonav/dev/docs/sampler_inst.html

Woo.. very nice.

I think in Forrest we're not really presenting a compelling case for
separating content and presentation.  It would be great if we could, say,
colourise code by language with <source type="java">, or XML, as done at:

http://www.orbeon.com/oxf/doc/intro-examples

Or be able to describe directory hierarchies with:

<dirstruct>
  <dir name="/">
    Root directory
    <dir name="lib">
      Contains jars
    </dir>
    <dir name="src">
      Source files
      <file name="manifest">
        Jar manifest
      </file>
    </dir>
  </dir>
<dirstruct>

and have it print a nice hierarchy as on the tigris page.

Forrest really needs to make adding project-specific elements easy..
eg:

1) author a schema addition in dead simple RNG compact format:

start =         dirstruct
dirstruct =     element dirstruct {
                    (file | dir)*
                }
dir =           element dir {
                    attribute name {fsName},
                    text?,
                    (dir | file)*
                }
file =          element file {
                    attribute name {fsName},
                    text
                }
fsName =        xsd:string { minLength = "1" }

2) Depending on skin, create a CSS or XSLT definition to render the
new element.
3) Drop these in a special directory, say src/documentation/skinconf/,
and Forrest does the rest.

Just random thoughts..

--Jeff