forrest-dev mailing list archives

From Jeff Turner <je...@apache.org>
Subject Re: Skin validation
Date Fri, 08 Nov 2002 04:56:33 GMT
On Fri, Nov 08, 2002 at 03:34:34PM +1100, David Crossley wrote:
> Jeff Turner wrote:
> > David Crossley wrote:
> <snip/>
>
> > > Ah i see. I am not using a project-specific skin.
> > >
> > > I was wanting it to do validation of the main
> > > forrest-site skin, etc. both during 'build.sh docs'
> > > and the 'forrest' build ... i was trying some mods to
> > > the "forrest-site" and "basic" skins.
> > >
> > > I will keep looking. It must be a strange setting of
> > > the forrest.validate.* properties.
> >
> > Oh.. no, it deliberately doesn't validate those, on the assumption that
> > Forrest wouldn't distribute broken stylesheets, and having every user
> > validate them would slow things down.  If you think it's a good idea, we
> > can add a forrest.validate.internal.skins (or something) property.
>
> I was wondering if that might be the issue.
> Yes, i think that it is vitally important to validate
> the "internal" skins, as well as all config files,
> and xdocs, and sitemaps, and stuff. Otherwise how do
> we *know* that we are not distributing broken stuff.

We Forrest committers are immune to the stupid mistakes that users make!
;)

> I presumed that during "build docs" Forrest is treating
> itself as yet another project. So i presumed that it would
> therefore validate its own stuff (the targets do get called).
> I now gather that this is not so.

If Forrest had a custom skin in src/documentation/skins, it would get
validated.

> Yes, i agree that every user should not need to do this every time.
> However, if they are working on core Forrest stuff (i.e. a developer)
> then we want them to validate before sending patches.
>
> Should i add a general validation target into the top-level
> xml-forrest/build.xml that does various validation of Forrest's core
> stylesheets and config files? It may better belong at that level -
> forrest-shbat/forrest.build.xml is getting quite full.

Yes, that's probably the best solution..
Only, because validation requires Ant 1.6, one couldn't build Forrest
with 'ant' anymore.  Everyone would need to use build.{sh,bat}.

+1 despite that.. it can always be fixed later.

--Jeff