forrest-dev mailing list archives

From Peter Donald <pe...@apache.org>
Subject Re: Commons site prototype up
Date Thu, 07 Nov 2002 15:07:51 GMT
On Thu, 7 Nov 2002 20:43, Nicola Ken Barozzi wrote:
> The Forrest skin started as a CSS skin only.
> The problem is that Netscape 4.x crashes on some CSS, and to have the
> best possible user experience with all browsers, we resorted to using
> some hacks, while keeping them at a minimum. All the discussions are on
> the mailing list archives.

Personally - my opionion is remove all style things from the html and put them
in a css sheet (this includes the font, colors, style images and so forth).
Have a look at the stuff produced by the tigris skin. It is no where near
perfect but there is a reasonably good separation between style (css) and
structure (html divs and spans).

If you wanted to really go the hack you could develope a tableless html
structure and apply the structure via css.

> Currently we are discussing about resorting again to CSS-only, but we're
> afraid about Netscape 4 problems and poorer site.

+1

If you need to work around netscape 4 problems then I can help you. I have
done it before (a couple of years ago but should be able to remember). If I
can't help you you can always look to style.tigris.org which is a great
resource that deals with netscape 4 problems.

--
Cheers,

Peter Donald
 "No. Try not. Do. Or do not. There is no try."
                                     -- Yoda