forrest-dev mailing list archives

From Jeff Turner <je...@apache.org>
Subject Re: 'broken link' causes..
Date Mon, 04 Nov 2002 17:06:43 GMT
On Mon, Nov 04, 2002 at 05:30:32PM +0100, Nicola Ken Barozzi wrote:

> Rodent of Unusual Size wrote:
> >Jeff Turner wrote:
> >
> >>Continuing on from this..
> >>
> >>The solution is to add a custom sitemap rule for "forms/*.pdf",
> >>and put it before the more general "**.pdf" rule ('**' matches
> >>subdirectories).
> >

> >ew.
> >

> >>So, to fix incubator-site:
> >

> >in other words, any xml-unaware person wanting to do something like
> >this will need to wave a dead chicken over the sitemap, typing
> >in tongues they don't understand.  i can accept this for now, but
> >i surely hope this is only a we're-still-in-alpha workaround and
> >not considered an final solution..
>
> Yup, it's a workaround.

I wouldn't say that.. it's _the solution_.  Anything we add on top of
this is just making _the solution_ easier for users to apply.

 "The goal of the sitemap is to allow non-programmers to create web sites
 and web applications built from logic components and XML documents."
    http://xml.apache.org/cocoon/userdocs/concepts/sitemap.html

Note "non-programmers" there.

The idea of controlling the whole website's output from one file is what
makes Forrest (potentially) not suck :)  Rather than hide it, I think we
should a) simplify it drastically, b) make it central to the Forrest
Indoctrination Program.

Just MHO :)

--Jeff