forrest-dev mailing list archives

From Jeff Turner <je...@apache.org>
Subject Re: 'broken link' causes..
Date Mon, 04 Nov 2002 14:23:21 GMT
On Mon, Nov 04, 2002 at 06:35:11AM -0500, Rodent of Unusual Size wrote:
> Jeff Turner wrote:
> >
> > On Mon, Nov 04, 2002 at 05:02:32AM -0500, Rodent of Unusual Size wrote:
> > > this 'broken link' stuff is really starting to frost my pumpkin..  what
> > > the flying moose ears are the possible causes, and how can i get
> > > forrest to tell me in more detail which one applies?

All the 'rules' in Forrest are in the sitemap.  It's the key file that
the whole of Forrest is based on.  It's also Cocoon's main claim to fame:
that you can manage a whole site's URI space in a single file.

The Forrest sitemap is in xml-forrest/src/resources/conf/sitemap.xmap:

http://cvs.apache.org/viewcvs.cgi/xml-forrest/src/resources/conf/sitemap.xmap?rev=HEAD&content-type=text/vnd.viewcvs-markup

A full description of it is at:

http://xml.apache.org/cocoon/userdocs/concepts/sitemap.html

The sitemap is like a switchboard for incoming requests.  The problem in
incubator-site is that you've got this link:

  <link href="forms/ASF_Contributor_License_2_form.pdf"

Which matches this sitemap rule:

<map:match pattern="**.pdf">
    <map:generate src="content/xdocs/{1}.xml"/>
    <map:transform
    src="skins/{defaults:skin}/xslt/fo/document2fo.xsl"/>
    <map:serialize type="fo2pdf"/>
</map:match>

which tries to generate a PDF from
content/xdocs/forms/ASF_Contributor_License_2_form.xml

More generally, when you see a broken link, it's because the sitemap:

a) doesn't have a rule to create the referred-to file
b) has a sitemap rule, but it's inappropriate (as above), or the raw content
isn't visible to the sitemap

> > > so far it seems
> > > to varf with one on *any* non-.xml file i try to include, such as .pdf
> > > or verbatim .html.

Yes, because **.html and **.pdf both have sitemap rules, generating HTML and
PDF files respectively from XML source, not from the hard disk.

> > It was a bug in the tab system, now fixed.  Here's output from
> > incubator-site:
>
> that doesn't answer the question.  also, i don't see what your output
> is supposed to be showing, pre-fix or post-fix:

Post-fix..

> > -> [broken link] forms/ASF_Contributor_License_2_form.pdf <-

> that's exactly [part of] my complaint.  *why* is it broken?  no explanation
> is given, and i haven't found a troubleshooting docco yet..

Sorry for missing the point of your question..

I'll post a solution/workaround just as soon as I get it working locally.

--Jeff