forrest-dev mailing list archives

From Jeff Turner <je...@apache.org>
Subject Re: publishing unlinked files
Date Mon, 04 Nov 2002 11:41:26 GMT
On Mon, Nov 04, 2002 at 12:00:19PM +0100, Nicola Ken Barozzi wrote:

> Jeff Turner wrote:

> >>Cocoon CLI can start crawling from a file containing a list of URLS, we
> >>should get that working IMHO.
> >

> >That wouldn't help much, as one would need to add a **/.htaccess rule to
> >the sitemap.
>
> Just add a ** rule at the end of the sitemap with a reader...

That works for .htaccess.  Wouldn't work for copying Javadocs, which is
much the same (unparsed files not linked directly).

> >I could use a pre-script in Anteater, to copy examples/*.xml into the
> >xdocs-dir before it's all rendered..
>
> Remember the discussion about not having to copy anything?
> How does it fit?

I was thinking.. IoC.. project in control of the overall doc build
process, not Forrest.

Ideally, Forrest and the sitemap would be completely passive, imposing no
required structure on the project.  The project tells Forrest, "my xdocs
are _here_" and Forrest adjusts the sitemap accordingly, rather than
(current situation) Forrest rearranging the docs to fit with the sitemap.

> Doesn't a "mount" system for external resources work better conceptually?

Yes, probably would for my use-case..

<site dir="src/documentation">
  <examples dir="../../examples/"/>
</site>

Then in book.xml, have

<menu-item label="Examples" href="site:/site/examples"/>

But back to the original topic: would adding pre and post callbacks do
harm conceptually?  There's no reason why people can't today create a
build.xml which does preprocessing, invokes Forrest, then does
postprocessing.  That's what I'm doing in Anteater.  I think pre and post
targets would just make it simpler for people without a driving Ant
script.

--Jeff