forrest-dev mailing list archives

From Rodent of Unusual Size <Ken.C...@Golux.Com>
Subject Re: 'broken link' causes..
Date Mon, 04 Nov 2002 15:33:07 GMT
* On 2002-11-04 at 10:26,
  Nicola Ken Barozzi <nicolaken@apache.org> excited the electrons to say:

> For istance, is I have a stuff.pdf and a stuff.xml, and I ask for
> stuff.pdf, I only get one of the two files, depending on which comes
> first in the sitemap rules.

ew.  well, then, the user needs to be able to control this.  by
default, in the above case, i would recommend that the stuff.pdf be
copied, and a warning that 'stuff.xml could not be rendered into pdf;
you already have a stuff.pdf file in <path>'.  since the pdf rendering
is a bonus feature, rather than explicitly requested, it definitely
should be the sacrificial victim in cases of conflict such as this.

automating things is cool.  automatically making intelligent choices
when presented with dilemmas is cooler.  allowing the user to dictate
your choices is cooler still.