forrest-dev mailing list archives

From Rodent of Unusual Size <Ken.C...@Golux.Com>
Subject Re: 'broken link' causes..
Date Mon, 04 Nov 2002 14:59:15 GMT
* On 2002-11-04 at 09:46,
  Jeff Turner <jefft@apache.org> excited the electrons to say:

> The sitemap is like a switchboard for incoming requests.  The problem in
> incubator-site is that you've got this link:
>
>   <link href="forms/ASF_Contributor_License_2_form.pdf"
>
> Which matches this sitemap rule:
>
> <map:match pattern="**.pdf">
>     <map:generate src="content/xdocs/{1}.xml"/>
>     <map:transform
>     src="skins/{defaults:skin}/xslt/fo/document2fo.xsl"/>
>     <map:serialize type="fo2pdf"/>
> </map:match>
>
> which tries to generate a PDF from
> content/xdocs/forms/ASF_Contributor_License_2_form.xml

thank you for the expanded explanation; i feel much less baffled now.

am i off the wall, or would it be reasonable for *all* such rules to
at least check to see whether the transformation needs to be done
before trying it?  i don't know from xsl, but pseudo-code:

<map:match pattern="**.pdf">
    <if -e "content/xdocs/{1}.pdf">
        <copy file>
    <else>
        <map:generate src="content/xdocs/{1}.xml"/>
        <map:transform
        src="skins/{defaults:skin}/xslt/fo/document2fo.xsl"/>
        <map:serialize type="fo2pdf"/>
    </if>
</map:match>

i notice another problematic thing about the transformation rule: it
assumes the source is under content/xdocs/ -- which doesn't work in my
case, because the source pdf is in resources/forms/ instead.

i have fallen afoul of the mismatch of structure between the input and
output tree, as i saw discussed last night.

am i trying to warp forrest to do things is isn't designed/intended to
do, or are my comments useful and maybe can help improve things?  i've
jumped right in because of some things nicola said, so perhaps my
expectations are mis-set..