forrest-dev mailing list archives

From Jeff Turner <je...@apache.org>
Subject Re: Skinning
Date Sat, 02 Nov 2002 03:53:53 GMT
On Sat, Nov 02, 2002 at 03:24:29PM +1100, Peter Donald wrote:
> On Sat, 2 Nov 2002 15:22, Peter Donald wrote:
> > Hi,
> >
> > Can someone tell me the status of skinning? Basically what I want to do is
> > develope a skin that looks like like
> >
> > http://jakarta.apache.org/avalon/phoenix/
> >
> > And I guess I want to know how stable the dtds are for all the different
> > formats? Can I adopt the DTDs as they now exist and will they be stable or
> > should I adopt a stop-gap DTD and wait for the forrest DTDs to stabilize or
> > what?

I think the DTDs are pretty stable now.  Any backwards-incompatible
change would IMO be done in a hypothetical document-v12.dtd, with an
associated v11-v12 translation stylesheet.

However, the sitemap -> skin contract (XSLT parameters) is not stable.
In fact I'm going to break it later today (make it simpler).  Anyone with
a custom skin should also use a custom sitemap, and not rely on the
Forrest default.

> > Also is there likely to be too much change in the structure of the skins or
> > how they are installed or anything like that?

Nope.

> Oh and if it is all stable - anyone got any suggestions on what skin I start
> from?

avalon-tigris is apparently the most decent.  It's been somewhere on my
todo list to pull it into Forrest, since the only half-decent skin
Forrest has is 'forrest-site'.

Actually, avalon-tigris works (sorta) with Forrest now.  If you add the
following forrest.properties file to jakarta-avalon:

project.name=avalon
project.skin=avalon-tigris
forrest.validate.failonerror=false
forrest.validate.excludes=menu.xml
project.xdocs-dir=src/xdocs

Then type 'forrest'.. it breaks all over the place, but the docs that do
render look okay.

--Jeff