forrest-dev mailing list archives

From David Crossley <cross...@indexgeo.com.au>
Subject Re: branch management - yikes
Date Thu, 21 Nov 2002 06:15:31 GMT
Jeff Turner wrote:
> David Crossley wrote:
> > I see that Jeff is maintaining FORREST_02_BRANCH
> > but i have not been doing so. Do we really need to
> > do this?
>
> Only critical bugfixes that are easy to port.
> eg, if that forrest.bat patch proves stable, I'll move it over.
>
> > Many fixes that we make to head cvs are also
> > needed in the branch.
>
> Not really.. there's only been two so far.  I'm happy for everyone to
> ignore the 0.2 branch, and I'll just watch commits and port when
> necessary.

I became concerned about the validation and entity
catalog resolver changes that i recently made to head.
I also worried about documentation changes, as i have
seen a branch management nightmare brewing with
Cocoon.

Your words make me rest easier :-)

> > Is there an easier way?
>
> 'cvs diff -j HEAD', and then 'cvs update -j HEAD' pull in
> changes from the head onto the branch.

Eek. Sounds okay for a few simple files, but could
be a worry at the top-level after a branches have
diverged. I will try it when i feel brave.