forrest-dev mailing list archives

From David Crossley <cross...@indexgeo.com.au>
Subject Re: [RT] Getting rid of the table-based layout
Date Wed, 13 Nov 2002 11:38:56 GMT
Jeff Turner wrote:
> Nicola Ken Barozzi wrote:
> > We have a PDF-printable link on every page, IMHO it would be cool if we
> > had a "legacy" link that showed the site with the current table based
> > skin, so that older browsers have a nice viewing experience too...
>
> ..and an "XML" link, so that newer browsers can download just the page
> XML and apply the stylesheet themselves.

Why do we want to encourage this? I see XML/XSL as a
server-side thing only.

When you say "apply the stylesheet", i wonder "how" and
"to what".

How would a stylesheet be declared? As a hard-coded URL
pi in the XML instance? Cumbersome.

To what does their browser apply the XSL? The xdocs/faq.xml
for example, is raw content. As we know, it undergoes
various server-side transformations before the browser sees
the final product.

So why would we want to let a browser loose on raw XML?

--David