forrest-dev mailing list archives

From David Crossley <cross...@indexgeo.com.au>
Subject Re: Skin validation
Date Fri, 08 Nov 2002 04:34:34 GMT
Jeff Turner wrote:
> David Crossley wrote:
<snip/>

> > Ah i see. I am not using a project-specific skin.
> >
> > I was wanting it to do validation of the main
> > forrest-site skin, etc. both during 'build.sh docs'
> > and the 'forrest' build ... i was trying some mods to
> > the "forrest-site" and "basic" skins.
> >
> > I will keep looking. It must be a strange setting of
> > the forrest.validate.* properties.
>
> Oh.. no, it deliberately doesn't validate those, on the assumption that
> Forrest wouldn't distribute broken stylesheets, and having every user
> validate them would slow things down.  If you think it's a good idea, we
> can add a forrest.validate.internal.skins (or something) property.

I was wondering if that might be the issue.
Yes, i think that it is vitally important to validate
the "internal" skins, as well as all config files,
and xdocs, and sitemaps, and stuff. Otherwise how do
we *know* that we are not distributing broken stuff.

I presumed that during "build docs" Forrest is treating
itself as yet another project. So i presumed that it would
therefore validate its own stuff (the targets do get called).
I now gather that this is not so.

Yes, i agree that every user should not need to do this
every time. However, if they are working on core Forrest
stuff (i.e. a developer) then we want them to validate
before sending patches.

Should i add a general validation target into the top-level
xml-forrest/build.xml that does various validation of
Forrest's core stylesheets and config files? It may better
belong at that level - forrest-shbat/forrest.build.xml
is getting quite full.

--David