forrest-dev mailing list archives

From David Crossley <cross...@indexgeo.com.au>
Subject Re: sync various descriptions of Forrest
Date Sun, 03 Nov 2002 01:30:24 GMT
Jeff Turner wrote:
> David Crossley wrote:
> > > I have noticed that Forrest is described inconsistently
> > > in various documents. So i have gathered together the
> > > descriptions to start refinement. I think that we need a
> > > longish description (refine what we have at A) and
> > > also develop a one-liner.
> >
> > Excellent idea.  It's the first thing users see, sent out
> > with every project announcement.. well worth polishing.
> <snip/>
> > >
> > > Having read that, is a potential user _any_ closer to knowing
> > > what Forrest actually is? To me it seems almost meaningless.
> > > "robust
> > > technical infrastructure".. an operating system perhaps? :)
> > >
> > > How about:
> > >
> > >   "Forrest is an XML-oriented project documentation system based on
> > >   Apache Cocoon.  It contains XML schemas (DTDs), XSLT stylesheets,
> > >   images and other resources used to render a project's XML source
> > >   files into a website."
> >
> > Better. Here is my version.
> >
> >  "Forrest is an XML-oriented project documentation framework
> >  based on Apache Cocoon, providing XSLT stylesheets and schema,
> >  images and other resources. Forrest uses these to render the
> >  XML source content into a website via command-line, robot, or
> >  a dynamic web application."
>
> Better still :)
>
> Perhaps "XML standards-oriented" instead of "XML-oriented"?  It hints
> that we prefer standard ways of doing things: XSLT over Velocity etc,
> which is a nice selling point.
>
> Would be nice to somehow convey that Forrest scales from static to
> dynamic sites.  Ie, start out with a small static site, then when you
> find you need user login, feedback modules or RSS feeds, switch
> painlessly to a live webapp.  I don't know of anything else that offers
> this possibility.

Here is the current draft:
 "Forrest is an XML standards-oriented project documentation
  framework based on Apache Cocoon, providing XSLT stylesheets
  and schema, images and other resources. Forrest uses these to
  render the XML source content into a website via command-line,
  robot, or a dynamic web application. Start with a small static
  site and grow to a dynamic application."

Issues:
1) Is it getting too long?

2) "schema" is a singular word, "schemata" is the proper plural,
but it sounds like a disease or a religious affliction. Is there
a better term? I am trying to avoid specific terms like DTD,
WXS, or XML Schema (when they mean W3C XML Schema). One other
choice is "grammar".

3) We still need a one-liner too. This is needed for
Bugzilla and will be useful elsewhere.

--David