forrest-dev mailing list archives

From David Crossley <cross...@indexgeo.com.au>
Subject Re: Skinning
Date Sat, 02 Nov 2002 05:17:05 GMT
Peter Donald wrote:
> > Hi,
> >
> > Can someone tell me the status of skinning? Basically what I want to do is
> > develope a skin that looks like like
> >
> > http://jakarta.apache.org/avalon/phoenix/
> >
> > And I guess I want to know how stable the dtds are for all the different
> > formats? Can I adopt the DTDs as they now exist and will they be stable or
> > should I adopt a stop-gap DTD and wait for the forrest DTDs to stabilize or
> > what?

The DTDs are workable now, but there are some outstanding
items. If i remember correctly <link> was the main one of
those. Cocoon had other behaviors associated with the links
and Forrest was going to rationalise that.
See forrest/primer.html and stick to simple links.
I gather that the document-v11 is due to be finalised in late
November.

> > Also is there likely to be too much change in the structure
> > of the skins or how they are installed or anything like that?
>
> Oh and if it is all stable - anyone got any suggestions on what
> skin I start from?

The forrest-site skin is the main one, and best to start from.
The basic skin is the only other one that we vowed to maintain.
However, i think that it is out of sync now. The other skins
were intended to be removed.

I heard discussion a while ago that Forrest would not become
a "skin repository" and would only hold a couple of skins
with a mechanism to configure your own skin. I am not sure
how far that has progressed.

--David