forrest-dev mailing list archives

From "Michael Edge" <michael.e...@db.com>
Subject Re: Integrating Forrest with existing Cocoon apps
Date Tue, 15 Oct 2002 12:29:14 GMT

OK, making some progress. I'm now getting the error below. This seems to come from the target
below. I do not have a file called skinconf.xml in my xml-forrest download. Also, you mentioned
a file called forrest.properties that can be used to setup project properties. Do you have
an example of this as I can't find one in the download.

"forrest.build.xml": \xml-forrest\build\dist\shbat\forrest.build.xml:106: Could not create
task of type: xmlproperty. Common solutions are to use taskdef to declare your task, or, if
this is an optional task, to put the optional.jar in the lib directory of your ant installation
(ANT_HOME). at line 106

  <!-- Load properties from Forrest's default skinconf.xml, unless a user's is defined
-->
  <target name="load-forrest-props" depends="init-props" unless="project.skinconf.present">
    <xmlproperty file="${forrest.home}/context/skinconf.xml"
      collapseattributes="true" validate="true"/>
  </target>

Regards

Michael

Michael Edge
Global Markets Technology
Institutional Client Group

Phone:  +44  (0) 20 7545 3204
Fax :       +44  (0) 20 7545 1559
Internet email:    Michael.Edge@db.com

                      Marc Portier

                      <mpo@outerthought        To:       forrest-dev@xml.apache.org

                      .org>                    cc:

                                               Subject:  Re: Integrating Forrest with existing
Cocoon apps
                      15/10/2002 10:48

                      Please respond to

                      forrest-dev

Hi,

after running the "build dist" on forrest you should install
(copy) the build/dist/shbat into a directory you called
FORREST_HOME through some environment variable

from then you can use $FORREST_HOME/forrest.sh site in any
directory to start forrest-building the documentation there (to a
relative dir ./build/site/)

the projects that want to hook it up into their existing ant
build.xml (like you) can use some target allong the lines of:

   <target name="docs"  description="Generates the documentation">
     <property environment="ENV" />
     <property name="forrest.home" value="${ENV.FORREST_HOME}" />
     <ant antfile="${forrest.home}/forrest.build.xml"
          target="site" />
   </target>

(as you see the actual forrest-building is done through an
underlaying ant script, just try not to get confused by this :-S)

when forrest-building your documentation like this
it is assumed that your project-home is the current dir (normally
the basedir for your build.xml, which is probably what you want)
the generated docs would go to ./build/site by default

this and other defaults can be modified by using some
forrest.properties file that will be picked up by the
forrest.build.xml

let us know if this theory fails to work in practice :-)
HTH
-marc=

Michael Edge wrote:
> Hi again
>
> I've spent a couple of days trawling through the Forrest and Centipede documentation
and, as far as I understand it, Forrest is what we are looking for to document our Cocoon
applications. The question is, how do we go about this? We have existing Cocoon apps, complete
with ANT build scripts. I need to integrate Forrest into this so that it becomes another target
in our build scripts. The current samples generate Forrest documentation, but I can't find
any details on how to integrate Forrest with an existing application.

> Any help appreciated.
>
> Regards
>
> Michael
>

> --
>
> This e-mail may contain confidential and/or privileged information. If you are not the
intended recipient (or have received this e-mail in error) please notify the sender immediately
and destroy this e-mail. Any unauthorized copying, disclosure or distribution of the material
in this e-mail is strictly forbidden.

in this e-mail is strictly forbidden.