forrest-dev mailing list archives

From Nicola Ken Barozzi <>
Subject Re: [VOTE] Turf Centipede, plus updates (Re: The Incubator site)
Date Wed, 30 Oct 2002 14:24:33 GMT

Jeff Turner wrote:
> On Sun, Oct 27, 2002 at 01:04:16AM +0200, Nicola Ken Barozzi wrote:
>>Rodent of Unusual Size wrote:
>>>i tried it while i was waiting for my car to be inspected, but i
>>>couldn't build it -- the cvs head has a dependency on being online and
>>>able to reach
>>Ok Forrest guys, I've had enough! ;-)
>>It's the third time in an afternoon that I have recieved similar
>>problems, and feature requests.
>>We *must* ensure that these difficulties won't happen again, and
>>remember that many new users we will have from now on don't usually
>>work with or like Java (I'm not talkin about you Ken, it's the others
>>that complained ;-)
>>Jeff et all, from me you have all the support to:
>> * remove what is left of the old Centipede inside Forrest
>> * remove the need to download from an outer site
>> * put all needed in CVS, put the latest Ant
> I've done most of this on my local repository.  The effects are:
>  - Directory structure and build.xml somewhat simpler.
>  - Forrest is buildable by typing 'ant' (to keep Dion happy).
>  - .. but for people without Ant, it's also buildable with
>    ./build.{sh,bat}.  An _unmodified_ but stripped-down Ant 1.6-dev is
>    kept in tools/ant/ for this purpose.
>  - The shbat distribution now includes the same stripped-down Ant.
>    Previously we required the user to have Ant installed to run Forrest.
>    Now Forrest requires only a JDK to run.

Cool! GO Go Go! :-D

> Other Exciting News from Some of the Forrest Team:
>  - Nicola has Jetty working.  Faster-than-Anakia edit/view turnaround
>    times are now possible, if we could just get rid of the 'copy src/*
>    build/*' stage.

Yup, I can say it *is* working, and BTW, how cool! :-)

I'll commit it ASAP, which means basically Saturday, since now I'm in
Duesseldorf attending to, and they have
a firewall here...

Anyway I can say I'm working on integrating slash-edit and chaperon in
the system, and now I'm able to save pages already in the browser
directly, but I still need to work things out so see a RT from me on it

>  - Jeff spent today hacking Ant and finally got <xmlcatalog> support for
>    external OASIS catalogs working (hence Ant 1.6-dev mentioned above).
>    We'll soon have XML validation as part of the doc rendering process.

>  - Jeff has latest Cocoon ChainMetaModule working in Forrest.  Having
>    cookie-remembered, user-selectable skins in live webapps is only an
>    XSP away.

Nicola Ken Barozzi
             - verba volant, scripta manent -