forrest-dev mailing list archives

From Vadim Gritsenko <vadim.gritse...@verizon.net>
Subject Re: New Apache XML Site! :-)
Date Tue, 29 Oct 2002 16:13:07 GMT
Steven Noels wrote:

>> Jeff Turner wrote:
>>
>>> We really need stats on 4.x usage for xml.apache.org to make a good
>>> judgement.
>>

>> I'll try and make a browser usage analysis for the month of
>> september. I would be using analog or webalizer - does anyone else
>> has killer tips for log analyzers?
>>
>> </Steven>
>

> I put up an analysed log of 1 day (3.868.269 requests, 271.678
> gigabytes) on http://www.apache.org/~stevenn/browserstats/
>
> I'm not a browser User Agent dictionary, it seems to me that the first
> non-IE, probably-dated browser is identified by "Mozilla/3.01
> (compatible;)", totaling 2.11% of that day. And Mozilla at 1.26% :-(

Hi Steven,

As you see from the pie chart... It's quite useless to just count unique
browser agents. Without groupings, these statistics do not mean much.

I think all these agents should be grouped into several larger categories:

 * MSIE 6.0+
 * MSIE 5.5+
 * MSIE 5.0+
 * MSIE 4.0+
 * Older MSIE

Similar groupings can be done for Netscape browsers, and for mozilla
ones (which has lots of different unique user-agents strings).

Then, pie chart will look different, a lot.

What do you think? Do you need some help to work this out?

Vadim