forrest-dev mailing list archives

From Steven Noels <stev...@outerthought.org>
Subject Re: [RT] Getting rid of the table-based layout
Date Mon, 28 Oct 2002 20:28:28 GMT
Miles Elam wrote:

> But then again, this is all sophostry and rhetoric without something to
> look at or back it up with.  So, getting to my point, I got bored today
> and made a mockup of http://xml.apache.org/cocoon/ in XHTML 1.0 Strict.
>
> http://cocoon.iguanacharlie.com/
>
> I hope this illustrates my point of view.  Sure, it could use some
> tweaking (I just whipped it out), but it validates, looks pretty good
> for braille readers, looks pretty good for good browsers, and any
> browser should be able to get the content (including Mosaic holdouts who
> can't handle tables).  Wasn't this the point of XHTML?  Wasn't this the
> point of CSS?

Hm. Hmmmm. Why don't you give a shot at http://xml.apache.org/forrest/,
the slightly more complicated skin we will be using on Forrestized
Apache sites - such as xml.apache.org?

> I'm sorry if I'm starting another fight, but seeing non-standard pages
> on ASF sites has been paining me for some time.  But rather than just
> complain, I'm trying an alternative and seeing how many people sigh.
> Given this, is it still worth avoiding CSS?  (A hell of a lot easier to
> write XSLT for XHTML to be sure.)
>
> I was also going to convert the GIFs to PNGs, but I'm quite sure that
> would've had me lynched before long because they most certainly don't
> show up in old browsers.  Now pardon me while I duck the incoming bullets.

Nice work, I must admit. Lean and mean code - but we should check on
older browsers - I'll be trying this with my rusty NS 4.07 on Linux.

We could use some helping hands over at Forrest to finish our skins.

</Steven>