forrest-dev mailing list archives

From Rodent of Unusual Size <Ken.C...@Golux.Com>
Subject Re: incubator project infrastructure set up
Date Mon, 28 Oct 2002 15:37:37 GMT
Jeff Turner wrote:

> > well, i was trying to run it on my laptop, off the network.  first, the
> > build of forrest required online access to download something from
> > krysalis.org.  dead stop. :-) okey, so i tried again after going
> > online, and the forrest build seemed to work all right.  (the
> > documentation about setting FORREST_HOME seems a wee bit unclear about
> > whether it's required for forrest to run or not, and whether it shoul
> > refer to the shbat directory or the shbat/bin one.  oh, well.)
>
> It's needed for Windows (specifically win95) but not for 'nix,
> though AFAIK all the docs say it's required.  If you can point
> me to the unclear docs I can fix'em.

will do..

> > then i tried to run forrest and it complained about there
> > being no ant.  so i installed ant.
>
> Hmm.. xml-forrest actually comes with a copy of Ant, so it's
> a bit dumb that we don't use it.  I'll fix this some time over
> the next week.  I think that so far, most people who try Forrest
> (esp its developers) have Ant installed, so nobody saw this obvious
> improvement.

:-)

> >  ran forrest again against your files, and it wiped them
> > all and complained.  in not-too-readable-except-in-a-browser
> > html, and i'm not sure what it's complaining about.
>
> I don't know what files you were trying to convert

a copy of cvs.apache.org/~nicolaken/apache-incubator/

> eliminate Forrest itself, or any environmental weirdness, as a
> cause of the trouble, one can type 'forrest seed site' in a
> clean directory.

no joy; same results.  let me see if i can get the meat out of
the error messages in the high-bogon index.html..  here we
go (extra blank lines elided):

                         Cocoon 2 - Resource not Found
   type resource-not-found
   message Page Not Available.
   description The requested resource couldn't be found.
   sender org.apache.cocoon.Main
   source Cocoon commandline (Main.java)
   request-uri
index.html
   missing-file
/tmp/ft/build/site/index.html

this is the same (essentially, if not exactly) as in the index.html
generated by the run against nicola's files.

> Sorry you had to jump through all those hoops.  We'll get busy
> eliminating the Ant hoop and documenting the unneededness of
> the others.

well, i have lots and lots of free time (not!), but i joined
forrest-dev because a) it seems cool, b) i really need to learn
some of this stuff, and c) maybe i can help out, if only by
complaining from the pov of a newbie. :-)
--
#ken	P-)}

"Millennium hand and shrimp!"