forrest-dev mailing list archives

From Nicola Ken Barozzi <>
Subject Re: New ASF site was Re: New Apache XML Site! :-)
Date Sun, 27 Oct 2002 14:32:06 GMT
Justin Erenkrantz wrote:
> I'm also concerned about security risks of a remote cron job that copies
> the files to production.  Remember that we can't do the generation on
> the production site.
> So, I would strongly prefer that we maintain manual deployment.

The Xml.Apache site is gotten from CVS and updated on the production
site using a cron job...

>> The real goal is to use Forrest *live*, thus serving the *best*
>> content to each browser, by doing separate transformation based on
>> the request, a thing that a single graphics cannot give.
> As I bet you are aware, there will be major performance considerations
> if you go down this route.  I would be reluctant to move away from
> static pages in any ASF environment.  In the past, I have worked with
> sites that used Java/XML/XSLTs to dynamically generate the pages and was
> bitten by their lack of scalibility.  The approach the ASF has tried to
> promote on its webpages is static translations rather than dynamic
> translations.  I believe it fits well in our deployment model.
> Please remember that the ASF sites handle approximately 2-3 million hits
> a day (may well be much more by now).  Dynamic pages may make sense for
> small sites, but I'd have to be sold on doing this for such a large site
> that has severe resource constraints.  We have no money to buy a Fire
> V480 - we're lucky we have daedalus/icarus.  -- justin

More than fair.
I got carried away... ;-)

Would it be doable if Forrest generated the content statically for all
the browsers and Apache directed the browser to the correct pages using
the request header?

Nicola Ken Barozzi
             - verba volant, scripta manent -