forrest-dev mailing list archives

From Steven Noels <stev...@outerthought.org>
Subject Re: Forrest uses 'old' version of Ant
Date Sun, 27 Oct 2002 08:55:43 GMT
Nicola Ken Barozzi wrote:

> I am discussing about using Forrest in a project, and they just said
> that having to install Forrest is a no-no.
>
> They want to have all Forrest checked in with every site, so that the
> doc writer can get from CVS, and run build.bat/.sh.

> It has been discussed before, I agree it sucks, but it's what our users
> need.

Aren't we overgeneralizing here? 'They', 'our users',... or just the few
opinionated ones that believe their way is the way?

I like the shbat approach - just like I like the ability to install Ant
as a separate app instead of just using the jars.

We should come up with a lean & mean executable version of Forrest,
depending on Ant already being installed. If what remains of Centipede
inside Forrest can't support this, we have some cleanup to do.

And if we want to provide a live webapp version for local development,
and Tomcat isn't lightweight enough to embed inside Forrest, why not use
Jetty?

</Steven>