forrest-dev mailing list archives

From Steven Noels <stev...@outerthought.org>
Subject Re: New ASF site was Re: New Apache XML Site! :-)
Date Sun, 27 Oct 2002 07:37:36 GMT
Justin Erenkrantz wrote:

> I would be against such a bot in use for ASF sites.
>
> There are times when we want to check in a change and do not necessarily
> want to propogate the change immediately (say a pending security
> release).  There are also times when we want an immediate deployment -
> waiting for a bot could be painful (activating the bot by trigger could
> be useful but introduces the first problem).
>
> I'm also concerned about security risks of a remote cron job that copies
> the files to production.  Remember that we can't do the generation on
> the production site.
>
> So, I would strongly prefer that we maintain manual deployment.

Then why should we use CVS as a synchronization mechanism, if rsync and
friends exist, and could be packaged in a user-triggerable script as
well - maybe a webapp so that people can trigger updates through a
special, authenticated URL...?

The main problem is CVS's awkward handling of directories and removal of
historical cruft. It is well suited for source code development, but not
as a staging mechanism for websites, IMO.

> As I bet you are aware, there will be major performance considerations
> if you go down this route.  I would be reluctant to move away from
> static pages in any ASF environment.  In the past, I have worked with
> sites that used Java/XML/XSLTs to dynamically generate the pages and was
> bitten by their lack of scalibility.  The approach the ASF has tried to
> promote on its webpages is static translations rather than dynamic
> translations.  I believe it fits well in our deployment model.
>
> Please remember that the ASF sites handle approximately 2-3 million hits
> a day (may well be much more by now).  Dynamic pages may make sense for
> small sites, but I'd have to be sold on doing this for such a large site
> that has severe resource constraints.  We have no money to buy a Fire
> V480 - we're lucky we have daedalus/icarus.  -- justin

And I have been suggesting recently to add additional servers to the ASF
serverpark, since getting access to other servers than daedalus & icarus
is hard to get. We were playing with the idea to use proxy_pass to proxy
dynamic resources. Maybe that could be the right balance between dynamic
websites and static delivery.

</Steven>