forrest-dev mailing list archives

From Steven Noels <stev...@outerthought.org>
Subject Re: New Apache XML Site! :-)
Date Sat, 26 Oct 2002 12:01:22 GMT
Nicola Ken Barozzi wrote:

> Actually, that's what we did.
>
> We published it since quite some time under
>  http://xml.apache.org/forrest/xml-site/
>
> (it's still there BTW, I'm removing it in CVS now to avoid confusion)
> and told the general@xml.apache.org list to take a look.
>
> Then infrastructure@apache.org asked to switch ASAP, the PMC also told
> we needed to change soon to the board, and I got messages telling me to
> do it.
>
> I gave a warning, updated CVS, told all to check, and waited.
> When a problem came, I fixed it.

This is a slightly euphemistic version of the timeline, but in general
we can only appreciate the time you have been allocating to the Cause in
the past few weeks. You'll get your rewards somehow ;-)

> I know that the site is not yet all Forrest made, but we don't have the
> power to impose it.
> I've been lobbying some other projects in their own lists for months al
> alone, and cannot wait another year till they feel they have time, nor I
> can be on all lists.
>
> Some projects have been very active on it: FOP is nearly ready, XIndice
> is happily getting ready, and Cocoon gotta wake up some time now.
>
> They'll get going faster now if they want the same look.

As I stated in one of my past mails, I'll have at least a month's worth
of paid time to work on Forrest after the GetTogether, fixing DTDs, bots
and documentation, providing migration paths etc etc.

I'll be very happy to work on this together.

Also, we should propose forrest-dev as the caretakers of the main
xml.apache.org site - we have the right mix of people over here, and
nobody else really cares.

OTOH, I privately expressed my support to Stefano if he wants to propose
cocoon.apache.org as a toplevel project to the board, so maybe
xml.apache.org will quickly become an empty container (although we
should check that assumption with xerces/xalan/fop/xindice/axkit).

I know I reacted kind of harsh on your solo action, but I guess we know
each other already long enough to live through that :-)

Thumbs up, Nicola.

</Steven>