forrest-dev mailing list archives

From Nicola Ken Barozzi <nicola...@apache.org>
Subject Re: New Apache XML Site! :-)
Date Sat, 26 Oct 2002 09:37:30 GMT

Robert Koberg wrote:
> This is exactly the problem a staging process is designed to solve.
>
> You move from dev -> qa -> certified -> live
>
> dev is what you are are doing now and then you go directly live.
>
> A better process would be to promote the dev site to qa when you feel it is
> ready.

Actually, that's what we did.

We published it since quite some time under
  http://xml.apache.org/forrest/xml-site/

(it's still there BTW, I'm removing it in CVS now to avoid confusion)
and told the general@xml.apache.org list to take a look.

Then infrastructure@apache.org asked to switch ASAP, the PMC also told
we needed to change soon to the board, and I got messages telling me to
do it.

I gave a warning, updated CVS, told all to check, and waited.
When a problem came, I fixed it.

I know that the site is not yet all Forrest made, but we don't have the
power to impose it.
I've been lobbying some other projects in their own lists for months al
alone, and cannot wait another year till they feel they have time, nor I
can be on all lists.

Some projects have been very active on it: FOP is nearly ready, XIndice
is happily getting ready, and Cocoon gotta wake up some time now.

They'll get going faster now if they want the same look.

             - verba volant, scripta manent -