forrest-dev mailing list archives

From Steven Noels <stev...@outerthought.org>
Subject Re: New Apache XML Site! :-)
Date Fri, 25 Oct 2002 20:07:38 GMT
Nicola Ken Barozzi wrote:

 > I'm happy to inform you that I just committed the new version of the
 > xml site in CVS.

Site looks bad - un-committed or un-updated files apparently - I tried
to cvs update locally on daedalus (you have access there too, Nicola,
and the website is in /www/xml.apache.org) - to no avail. And no time to
further investigate :-(

 > If there are any problems, please contact
 >
 > forrest-dev@xml.apache.org

Hm. Hmmm.

1) we did a bad job
2) you did a solo job

 > This will make us have better graphics, automatic PDF creation,
 > faster site, and most of all better bandwidth usage.

Please let's be modest. In the heat of the reorg discussion, I see many
people making bold claims and strong statements. The cocoon/forrest
community is known not to fall into that trap. Let's keep it that way.
Marketing is OK, but too much eagerness is simply bad publicity.

We are stuck now with a site that looks bad, and is known to be
generated using Forrest. Also, it seems like you simply copied the
cleaned-up XML files I prepared once and generated the 'new website' out
of it.

Prior to doing so, you would as well have consulted the forrest-dev'ers,
no? Did we contact the different projects prior to republishing to check
on the accuracy if the common pages... no. Timeliness... no. Just a
quick and dirty hack based on some source files I committed months ago.

It's not because this is a can-do-ocracy that we should do things
without enough consideration...

Sorry if I seem pissed off, but that's because I'm currently lacking the
time to help you with it, and you preferred going solo anyhow.

</Steven>