forrest-dev mailing list archives

From "J.Pietschmann" <j3322...@yahoo.de>
Subject Re: [RT] Linking revisited: A general linking system
Date Tue, 15 Oct 2002 19:31:10 GMT
Conal Tuohy wrote:
> I confess I don't know much about Forrest, but it seems to me that a
> "resource" maps to a "topic" in topicmap jargon, and a "resourcemap" or
> "linkmap" (in Jeff's terminology) maps to a "topicmap". Is there some reason
> not to make use of this technology?

One problem is that your topic map has sooner or later to address
content in your source XML, which means you write a string
representing an URL into the topic map. Depending on how well
you provided for addressing topics in your source XML (ID on
every element), or how much flexibility you want (is PDF an
target format?) and how much you want to invest into processing
the URL from the topic map into something which points to the
right target for both the document the processed link is in as
well as for the format of the document the link points to.

You can use XPointer in the topic map, if you have a processor
for it, but for example getting the page to point into an external
PDF might be tricky and/or expensive.

Well, a "linkmap" suffers from the same problem, except that it
somewhat implies that you put URLs to HTML pages directly into the
map as nobody uses something else anyway...

J.Pietschmann