forrest-dev mailing list archives

From Marc Portier <...@outerthought.org>
Subject Re: Where goes Forrestbot?
Date Mon, 14 Oct 2002 21:17:34 GMT
briliant insight.

we just need to elaborate some more on how (from a users
standpoint) the bot should be working
(nice to be back by the way: this week is catchup-read week, next
week is again loaded with other work, after that I'ld like to
speed up to get some of this into the forthcoming 0.2 that was
mentioned: any real plan and list of things to get in? a target
date?)

As a kind of requirements gathering up front what is it that
bot-users (any around?) would like/need to do?

- build the bot-distribution
- set it up to work in a cron (good idea to provide more then
just docs)
- add/remove/get-list of projects to process (I'ld prefer
seperate files in dirs over the current all holding project-conf)
- have intermediate runs (without deploy) to test
- others?

at this moment I have the feeling people would want to have some
hierarchical organization to things: first level would decide
where to deploy to and then group on a second level all the
projects that should be put next to each other on that same
location, also setting some overriding properties in those
project-runs

what about centrally overriding properties set for each specific
project (like skin)?

still catching on the read... for the stuff we don't override we
need to fallback on the project-settings: what happened to
siteplan? (as an idea, not the file) is everything now in
project.properties?

what if the project's ant target to forrest is dependend on other
tasks? (how is the link to gump/vindigo/centipede/whatever nowadays?)

more emotions/thoughts?
-marc=