forrest-dev mailing list archives

From Steven Noels <stev...@outerthought.org>
Subject Re: [mini-RT] Using Forrest
Date Tue, 08 Oct 2002 21:22:44 GMT
Jeff Turner wrote:

> So I propose the existence of a new Forrest distribution, that embeds a
> Tomcat 4 instance. There would be the following commands:
>
> forrest_startup.sh        # Start the embedded Tomcat
> forrest_shutdown.sh       # Stop the embedded Tomcat
> forrest_register.sh       # Register a project with Forrest
> forrest_unregister.sh     # Unregister a project from Forrest
> forrest_genstatic.sh      # Generate a static HTML version of the site
> forrest_gendynamic.sh     # Generate a webapp version of the site
>
> The 'register' command would use Tomcat 4's Ant scripts [1] to deploy a
> new webapp, without restarting Tomcat. The webapp would have it's context
> root at the project root, not in ./build/, so that edits made to
> src/documentation/* are immediately picked up, and files like status.xml
> in the project root are inside the context.
>
> Does it all sound decent?

Hmmmm. Sounds tempting. Or should we provide just the scripts so that
people are able to deploy/update a Forrest instance running in their own
TC installation?

Packaging TC seems like adding lots of weight to the distribution, IMO.
But abondoning static for live, and creating static using wget sounds
very tempting to me these days.

Sorry for the very belated reply. I've been pretty busy.

</Steven>